- Peter was one of Jesus' disciples. He came from the village of Bethsaida in Galilee. Originally called Simon, he was a fisherman with his brother Andrew and their friends James and John. He became a close friend of Jesus and worked with him during his ministry. It was Jesus who changed his name from Simon to Peter. He later became a leader of the church.
- This part of Peter's story is found in John, chapter 1, verses 40 to 42.
- Peter appears in our Babble.on, Ballyhoo!, 2by2, Numbers and Go Fish games.
Colour in fun
Download an outline version of this image to print out and colour in.
- One night, during a storm on Lake Galilee, the disciples saw Jesus walking on the water. Peter climbed out of the boat and started walking towards Jesus. When Peter noticed the height of the waves around him, he became afraid and started to sink but Jesus grabbed hold of him and saved him from drowning.
- This part of Peter's story is found in Matthew, chapter 14, verses 22 to 33.
- Boats and storms are also found in the stories of Noah's Ark, Jonah's attempted escape and Paul's shipwreck.
- Boats appear in our Scramble and 2by2 games.
- After Jesus' arrest in the garden, Peter followed the soldiers to the High Priest Caiaphas' house. In the courtyard, he waited beside the fire, hiding among the crowd. Three times Peter denied knowing about Jesus when challenged by people in the crowd. When the rooster crowed, Peter remembered that Jesus had told him this would happen. This made Peter sad but Jesus later forgave him.
- This part of Peter's story is found in Luke, chapter 22, verses 54 to 62.
- Roosters and hens are also found in the stories of the house owner's return and Jesus' sorrow for Jerusalem.
- Roosters appears in our 2by2, Numbers and Animal Scramble games.
- After Jesus had ascended into heaven, the disciples were alone in an upper room in Jerusalem. They were unsure what to do next. Suddenly, there was a noise like a mighty wind blowing, and fingers of fire appeared above their heads. This was God, in the person of the Holy Spirit, descending upon them. He gave them power and authority to go out and tell others about Jesus.
- This part of Peter's story is found in Acts, chapter 1, verses 1 to 41.
- Fire is also found in the stories of Moses and the burning bush, Elijah's flaming chariot and Daniel's friend in the fiery furnace.
- Fire appears in our Scramble game.