Herod the Great
- Herod was King of Judea at the time Jesus was born and ruled from his palace in Jerusalem. He is often referred to as Herod the Great. After his death, the Romans divided his kingdom among three of his sons - Herod Archelaus, Herod Antipas and Philip.
- This part of Herod's story is found in Matthew, chapter 2, verse 1 and verse 22.
- Herod appears in our Babble.on, and Ballyhoo! games; and will appear in our Festive 2by2 and Monarchy games.
- After Jesus was born, Wise Men or Magi from the east arrived at Herod's palace to see the baby king. They had followed a special star in the sky (see Wise Men for star image). Herod was upset at the news about a rival king. He pretended to be interested and asked the Wise Men to come back and tell him where he could find the baby. Secretly, Herod was planning to kill Jesus.
- This part of Herod's story is found in Matthew, chapter 2, verses 1 to 12.
- The Wise Men are only found in the story of Jesus' birth.
- The Wise Men appear in our Babble.on, Scramble, Ballyhoo! and 2by2 games; and will appear in our Festive Scramble game.
- When the Wise Men left Bethlehem, an angel told Joseph in a dream to take his family to safety in Egypt because King Herod was planning to kill baby Jesus. When Herod realised that he had been outwitted, he gave orders to his soldiers to kill all the baby boys in the Bethlehem area.
- This part of Herod's story is found in Matthew, chapter 2, verses 13 to 18.
- Soldiers are also found in the stories of Gideon's special army, David taking food to his brothers in Saul's army and Jesus' arrest in the Garden of Gethsemene.
- Soldiers like Gideon and Goliath appear in our Babble.on and Ballyhoo! games.
Colour in fun
Download not available yet.
- After Herod died, an angel appeared to Joseph again in a dream, telling him it was safe for them to return home. When Joseph discovered that Herod's son, Herod Archelaus, was ruling in Judea in place of his father, he moved his family to Nazareth in Galilee in the north of the country.
- This part of Herod's story is found in Matthew, chapter 2, verses 19 to 23.
- Angels are also found in the stories of Jacob's dream of a ladder, the announcement of Mary's pregnancy and of Jesus' birth, and Peter's escape from prison.
- Angels appear in our Babble.on and Numbers games; and will appear in our Festive 2by2 game.