Herod & Herodias
- Herod Tetrarch was the son of Herod the Great, who had been king when Jesus was born. Herod Tetrarch was the Ruler of Galilee. He was married to Herodias, his brother Philip's wife.
- This part of Herod's and Herodias' story is found in Matthew, chapter 14, verses 1 to 3 and Mark, chapter 6, verse 17.
- John the Baptist told Herod that the marriage was against the law. Herod was angry with John and had him arrested and thrown into prison. Herod wanted to kill John but was afraid to do so because he knew John was a prophet and that he was popular with the people (see John the Baptist for image of John).
- This part of Herod's and Herodias' story is found in Matthew, chapter 14, verses 3 to 5.
- Prisons are also found in the stories of Joseph helping the Royal Baker and Royal Butler, Paul and Silas surviving an earthquake and Peter's rescue by an angel.
- Prisons do not appear in any Lootro games yet but watch this space for news.
- On his birthday, Herod gave a great banquet for his royal officials and military leaders. Herodias' daughter danced for Herd; and he was so pleased that he offered the girl anything she wanted. She asked her mum who saw an opportunity to get rid of troublesome John. Herodias told her daughter to ask for the head of John the Baptist on a plate.
- This part of Herod's and Herodias' story is found in Mark, chapter 6, verses 21 to 25.
- Plates are also found in the story of the gold equipment for the Tabernacle tent.
- Plates do not appear in any Lootro game yet but watch this space for news.
Color in fun
Download an outline version of this image to print out and colour in.
- King Herod was upset at the request but he could not refuse the offer he had made in front of all his guests. Herod sent his executioner to the prison who beheaded John with a sword. He brought John's head on a plate and presented it to the girl who gave it to her mum. John's followers took his body away for burial.
- This part of Herod's and Herodias' story is found in Mark, chapter 6, verses 26 to 29.
- Swords are also found in the stories of Gideon's special force, David's fight with Goliath, Peter's attack on Malchus in the Garden of Gethsemene and James' execution.